Adapted from Fact Retriever
1. Protein exists in every one of the trillions of cells in the human body. Without it, no life could exist. Approximately 18-20% of the body is protein.
2. The word ‘protein’ is Greek and it comes from the word ‘proteios’ which means ‘primary’ or ‘first rank’. The word protein has been used since 1883.
3. Proteins are essential to the human body, and are responsible for many processes such as growing, healing, forming cell structure, carrying oxygen, protecting against disease, growing hair and nails, allowing eyesight, providing energy and more.
4. There are about 100,000 different types of protein in the human body. The lifespan of most proteins totals two days or less.
5. Without a protein called Albumin, the entire human body would swell.
6. The cheese with the highest amount of protein is low-sodium parmesan, with 41.6 grams of protein per 100g.
7. The fish that is highest in protein is Yellowfin Tuna, with 30 grams of protein per 100 grams, followed by anchovies, salmon, halibut and snapper.
8. Protein helps make a meal more satiating which, in turn, helps people maintain a healthy weight.
9. Because animal proteins are more similar to our proteins than are plant proteins, they are used more readily and rapidly. In other words, our bodies can use animal proteins slightly better than plant-based proteins.
10. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and other grains. When people have an allergic reaction to foods such as gluten, it’s because the structure of the protein itself triggers the reaction.
11. Hair is made up of a protein called keratin, which forms a helical shape. This protein has sulfur bonds, and the more sulfur links it has, the curlier a person’s hair will be.
12. One of the smallest countries in the world, Luxemburg, is per capita the biggest meat eater. Luxembourgers eat on average about 300 pounds of meat annually per person.
13. Scientists concluded that the chicken came before the egg. This is because the protein which makes their eggshells can only be produced by hens.
14. There is a protein called Pikachurin which was named after the Pokemon, Pikachu. There is also a protein called Sonic Hedgehog, named after Sonic the Hedgehog.
Raw Cacao WPI
- Made with organic raw Peruvian cacao
- 100% natural, free of anything artificial or nasty
- Ideal for lean muscle building
- Promotes healthy weight management
- Boosts immune system function