The weather is gradually warming up here in Australia (although sometimes it doesn’t feel that way in good old Melbourne) and with the temperature rising, so too does the need for stoveless, effortless and oftentimes cold breakfasts. Being over a stove in summer is not ideal, let’s be honest. Nor is sweating through your breakfast. Hot, but not so hot.
Berry bowls are super easy, and, combined with granola and some additional fruit, address all of your daily breakfast needs, with a hit of antioxidants, good carbohydrates, protein and friends. In keeping with the ‘not sweating at breakfast’ theme, the granola can be made way ahead (cough: at night when it isn’t as hot) and sprinkled over anything you fancy. I have a mouthful of it right now, living proof that you can actually just sprinkle it into your mouth.
A little note: This one can easily be made vegan. Simply substitute the Vanilla WPI for Bare Blends Peruvian Power Protein. You could also add some extra Bare Blends Raw Cacao to the granola for an extra chocolatey hit.
GRANOLA – makes enough granola for about 6 large serves
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons Bare Blends Vanilla WPI
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- good pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small pot, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt, and heat until all is melted and combined.
- Just before you pull the mixture off the heat, add the Vanilla WPI, and stir until it dissolves.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and sunflower seeds, and pour over the oil mixture. You can use any combination of nuts/seeds/oats/other grains here – this is just a basic guide. Go wild!
- On two lined baking trays, spread the granola evenly and pop in the oven, with the timer on for ten minutes. Check the granola at every ten-minute interval to ensure it isn’t burning. Mine took about 20 minutes, browned off at the end with a few minutes under the grill.
BARE BERRY BOWL- makes 2 serve
- 2 frozen ripe bananas
- 1 cup of frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
- 3 teaspoons Bare Blends Bare Berries
- Chuck the berries and banana in the food processor and blitz until a smooth, creamy texture has been reached.
- I find it easiest to remove the blade from the processor and stir in the Bare Berries, to prevent it from flying up the sides of the processor after you turn it on. Either way, add the Bare Berries and combine.
- OPTIONAL: add two tablespoons of Vanilla WPI to the mix before assembling.
Divide the Bare Berry mix between two bowls, and top with granola and your favourite fruits. I used dried strawberries, blueberries and dehydrated oranges, because let’s be honest, they are the new edible flowers. YUM.