Have you tried black tahini? It's made from black sesame seeds and it's what gives these protein-enriched bliss balls their beautiful black colour.
After finding it at my local health food store, I've become slightly obsessed. It tastes similar to normal tahini (which is made from white sesame seeds), but I love the novelty of dying my food black.
I use Bare Blends Bare Whey Protein Isolate (which is unsweetened and unflavoured) to boost the protein content of these protein balls. It's flavourless, so doesn't interfere with the black sesame flavour. Also, if you can't find black tahini, you can use normal tahini instead.
Gluten free | Grain free | Lactose free | Fructose free
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 3 x 20ml tablespoons Bare WPI
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon coconut flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons black tahini
- 3 x 20ml tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- Bare Blends Organic Black Chia Seeds, for coating
- Process the cashews, coconut, protein powder, coconut flour and sea salt in a food processor until you get fine crumbs.
- Add the tahini, rice malt syrup, coconut oil and water and process until the mixture comes together in a ball. Set the mixture aside in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up slightly.
- Roll the mixture into balls and coat in the chia seeds. Place in the fridge for a few hours to set. Store in the fridge or freezer.