With high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, iron and dietary fibre, chia seeds pack a pretty decent nutrient punch.
I add them to just about anything (smoothies, salads, raw desserts, sprinkled on roast vegetables...the list goes on).
They're a great addition to protein balls like these Chia Protein Bites because they help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. I like to add quite a few in this recipe (1/2 a cup) to give the balls some crunch (and I highly recommend drizzling the finished product in some dark chocolate because, like chia seeds, I'll add chocolate to just about anything).
Gluten Free | Grain Free | Low Fructose
- 1 cup Bare Blends Bare Whey Protein Isolate
- 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup Bare Blends Organic Black Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup mixed raw nuts and seeds, crushed
- 1/4 cup Bare Blends Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 40g dark chocolate (at least 85% cocoa)
- Mix the protein powder, coconut, chia seeds, crushed nuts/seeds and cacao powder together in a bowl. Add the melted coconut oil, rice malt syrup and water and stir until well combined.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Roll the mixture into balls and place on the tray. Leave in the fridge or freezer for a couple of hours until set.
- Once set, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave or using a double boiler. Using a teaspoon, drizzle the melted chocolate over the balls and allow to set in the fridge. Store the balls in the fridge or freezer.