I think it can generally be agreed that the ‘silly season’ is a regrettable time for the waistline of the average person. When we make it to the other side, most of us (I hope I’m not alone) find the old jeans to be a bit more snug than they were previously. Which is why I patted myself on the back when I decided to make some protein gingerbread people. Courtesy of Bare Whey, you actually cannot taste that they are anything other than a gingerbread man. So basically, your friends can thank you later when their jeans haven’t tightened as much as they anticipated.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 3 tablespoons Bare Whey
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 60g butter, melted
- 1.5-2 tablespoons ginger powder (depending on how much ginger you enjoy)
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- pinch of salt
- tapioca flour, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all your ingredients together until they are well incorporated.
- If the mixture feels a bit sticky, add some tapioca flour until it reaches a consistency that will form a solid ball in your hand.
- Now for the fun bit! This gingerbread doesn’t roll out like the regular sort. I have found it best and easiest to use ample tapioca flour on the bench and my hand, and press the dough out until it is to your desired thickness. Then use your gingerbread cutters and go to town on that gingerbread!
- Once you have cut out all your gingerpeople, assemble them on trays lined with baking paper and pop in the oven. Check on them at 10 minutes, they will be close to done, depending on how thick you have made them. The thicker they are, the longer they will need. A revelation, I know.
If royal icing is your thing, whisk one egg white until it forms stiff peaks, and slowly add in a cup of icing sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice. Use a piping bag to decorate your little people. Try and top my decorating skills – it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Recipe and photos by Bare Blends contributing chef Georgeats! Check out her Instagram and blog for more amazing creations.