If you've been on Instagram, you've probably seen an excessive amount of raw caramel slice recipes.
Most require a heap of dates, but dates upset my digestion (due to their fructose content) so I developed this date-free version, boosted with nutrient-rich maca powder.
Maca powder comes from the maca root, which is native to the Andes mountain ranges. It's packed with vitamins and minerals and is said to increase energy and mental clarity, enhance mood and immunity, and help restore hormone imbalances.
I hope you enjoy it! Lilian x
IngredientsFor the base:
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons cashew nuts or almonds
- 1 x 20ml tablespoon unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Bare Blends Organic Raw Peruvian Maca
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 x 20ml tablespoons Bare Blends Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 3 teaspoons rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon hulled tahini
- Pinch of sea salt
- Line an 8 x 12cm container with baking paper or cling film.
- Process the base ingredients in a food processor until the mixture comes together into a ball. Press the mixture into the prepared container and set aside in the freezer to chill.
- To make the maca caramel layer, place the tahini, rice malt syrup, melted coconut oil, maca powder, vanilla and sea salt in a small bowl. Gently stir everything together until just combined (if you over-stir the mixture it may go a bit grainy). Spread the maca caramel mixture over the base and return the container to the freezer to chill.
- To make the chocolate topping, place the melted coconut oil in a small bowl and stir in the cacao powder, rice malt syrup, tahini and sea salt until well combined. Pour the chocolate mixture over the maca caramel layer and leave the container in the fridge for a few hours to set.
- Once set, remove the slice from the container and cut into pieces. Store in the fridge or freezer.