Chia seeds are the superfood that we all know and love, and they are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.
Loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and other micronutrients, chia seeds are a nutritious addition to your diet.
‘Salvia Hispanica', commonly known as Chia, is a flowering plant native to central and southern America. Chia seeds have been a staple for native American people as early as 3500 BC. It's no wonder the word name Chia is Mayan for 'strength', as the Ancient Aztec warriors were said to consume one teaspoon of this superfood to sustain them for 24 hours.
Bare Blends’ Organic Chia Seeds are sourced from an Australian Certified Organic grower in Peru, and are naturally high in calcium, iron, vitamin C, manganese and phosphorous. Chia is also one of the richest plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids. The omega-3 found in chia will help to control blood sugar levels, which is essential for managing weight and boosting energy levels, as well as keeping your heart and organs healthy.
According to The Natural Nutritionist, Steph Lowe, Chia Seeds are, ‘high in calcium, iron, vitamin C, manganese and phosphorus, Chia seeds are truly one of nature’s superfoods. Their high omega 3 and natural fibre content also makes them fantastic for blood sugar control, which is the key to satiety, energy and weight management.’
TOP 6 BENEFITS OF CHIA SEEDS:
- Chia seeds contain all nine essential amino acids, making them a complete protein source. It is a vital component to the health of our muscles, cells and tissues.
- It is one of the richest plant-based sources of omega-3 ALA. Omega-3s are not only important for brain health, but also have anti-inflammatory properties and affect the blood vessels and joints.
- Chia seeds contain manganese, an essential nutrient for our health. It’s beneficial for our bones and helps the body utilise nutrients such as biotin, thiamine, ascorbic acid and choline.
- A single serving of the mighty seeds contains almost 20% of the recommended daily intake of calcium. Other than the main benefit of playing a crucial role in bone structure, calcium is also vital for muscle function.
- Chia seeds also provide the mineral phosphorous, which works with calcium to strengthen our teeth and bones. It also plays an active role in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Chia seeds provide the body with soluble fibre, which is important for digestive health. This particular fibre binds with fatty acids and slows down digestion so blood sugars are released more slowly into the body.
Because chia seeds absorb water and expand in your stomach, they will keep you feeling fuller for longer and provide you with a slow release of energy throughout the day. The soluble and insoluble fibre in chia will also help to improve intestinal health. Not only good for internal health, chia seeds are full of trace minerals and protein which are essential for healthy hair, skin and nails.
Another reason why we love chia seeds is because of their versatility. Now only are they fantastic in smoothies, they’re a fantastic addition to raw treats and protein balls, such as these Black Sesame and Chia Protein Balls or this healthy Bare Berries and Chia Jam. If you’ve yet to try chia pudding, give this Lychee Chia Pudding a go.