The importance of drinking water every day cannot be underestimated.
Hydration is essential for every cellular function, including an efficient metabolism and optimal exercise recovery.
Hydration needs to be a daily priority, as it’s what you do every day that counts. Here are our top 4 tips:
- Aim to consume 2-2.5L of water per day.
- When it comes to exercise, consume another 500 millilitres for every hour you complete.
- One of the best ways to hydrate is with water, lemon and sea salt to accelerate absorption. Simply add half to one lemon and a pinch of salt to 1-2 water bottles that you fill each day. This is also really helpful if you are not used to drinking this volume of fluid, as enhanced absorption is essential to decrease your toilet trips while your body adjusts to your new daily volume.
- During active recovery, do not wait until you are thirsty. The easiest way is to sip regularly (e.g. at 15 minute intervals). If you find you often forget to hydrate, set an alarm to remind you.
What about coconut water?
The natural sugars and electrolytes can be beneficial after an intense exercise session but it is important to know that coconut water is high in potassium and contains minimal sodium, so it should not be your sole means of replacing sweat losses. In addition, one serve contains 15g of carbohydrates, so it is not to be treated like water. One to two serves per week is sufficient.
What about sports drinks?
The reality is that most commercial sports drinks are full of artificial sugar, preservatives and colours, and there are much better options for your hydration, and health and wellness goals. We’ve created a great 28 friendly homemade sports drink for you, appropriate for hydration during, or part of your replenishment for active recovery sessions greater than 2 hours in duration.
Can I drink anything other than water?
Absolutely, and two really simple ideas are water infusion and iced teas.
Our favourite ideas are:
- Strawberry, cucumber and mint
- Pomegranate seeds, lime and blueberries
- Ginger and lemon
Recipe: Strawberry, Cucumber and Mint Water Infusion
- 400ml filtered water
- 3-4 strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 6 sprigs of mint
- Combine all ingredients in a Bare Blends' The Bare Flask and allow to infuse for 5 minutes before consuming.
Our favourite ideas are:
- Lemon Thyme Iced Tea
- Iced Green Tea
Recipe: Lemon Thyme Iced Tea
- 3 black tea bags
- 6 cups water
- 4 sprigs lemon thyme
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- In a large sauce place water together with lemon thyme, cinnamon stick and juice and zest of two lemons. Bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add tea bags and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and allow to cool.
- Strain and serve over ice.