Probably the most delicious shake to start a new day full of energy!
To the taste: imagine the deliciousness-level of the peanut-butter-jelly combo, the freshness and creaminess of banana icecream, the consistency of a thick milkshake, the slight bittersweet taste you know from freshly picked berries, and now the combination of all of that together! Mmmm… this can only taste amazing!
If you’ve never made homemade peanut butter before and happen to have a good high-speed blender or food processor at home, you should definitely give it a try! It’s such a huge difference to the store-bought kinds and tastes so much better! Plus, homemade peanut butter doesn’t contain any preservatives or extra oils, and is also refined sugar free. I personally like to add some vanilla extract and a bit of coconut blossom sugar. It enhances the taste of the peanuts, add a little sweetness and the vanilla in it gives it that special something. But you can do it however you like it best!
If you’re looking for homemade nut-butter recipes, there’s over eight different nut butter recipes in my 'Eat Better Not Less' Cookbook. I use nut butter in pretty much all of my recipes, sweet and savory! But especially for breakfast recipes. And you can really create so many different kinds. A delicious nut butter I made just recently is with macadamia, roasted hazelnuts and cashews. Adding a bit of coconut blossom sugar here as well and some pure vanilla extract makes the combo perfect! Make sure to always roast your nuts before though! It makes such a huge difference to the taste, in a really really positive way!
I don’t know if you’ve tried protein powders before, but the Organic Vanilla Bean WPI from Bare Blends is so so good! I simply add it because it makes everything so delicious- not really because i want fast muscle recovery after a workout or anything else. It’s delicious and my absolute favorite. I have to admit that I personally don’t have a lot of experience with protein powders. But adding a spoon of the Vanilla WPI turns every shake and banana icecream into a cloudy, creamy, fluffy and light mixture that nobody could possibly resist! And if you can resist, please give it to me, I’ll eat it up!
SERVES 2/ DF, GF, VGN, RSF
FOR THE RASPBERRIES:
- 4 tbsp raspberries, frozen (or fresh)
- 2-3 tsp natural sweetener of choice, I used coconut sugar (Royal Green)
- 2 tbsp water
FOR THE PEANUT-VANILLA SHAKE
- 2 bananas, frozen and in slices
- 200-250 ml soy or almond milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (preferably homemade)
- 2-3 tsp natural sweetener of choice, e.g. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Bare Blends Organic Raw Peruvian Maca Powder
- 1-2 heaped tbsp Bare Blends Organic Vanilla Bean WPI (Bare Blends' Whey Protein Powder Isolate is very low in fat and lactose. For the vegan version you could use their Raw Peruvian Power Protein)
- In a small saucepan, heat up the raspberries together with the natural sweetener and water on medium heat until softened and warm.
- While the raspberries are on the stove, take the frozen banana slices out of the freezer and thaw them for a few minutes.
- Add the banana slices, milk of choice, peanut butter, sweetener and vanilla extract into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- For an extra creamy, light and fluffy result, add the protein powder and mix again on high speed for a couple of minutes.
- Add the warm raspberries into a jar, top with the creamy and thick-ish peanut shake, give it a quick stir if you’d like and enjoy. Either spoon it out or enjoy with a large straw!
(I’d suggest to spoon it though - it takes longer to eat/drink = time well spent full of happiness :P)
I hope you like the recipe, xx Nadia