Chocolate and banana are two words that should always be put together.
Even better, though, is when they are also paired with the word healthy. Some other words that pair well with choc-banana? Protein packed, gluten free and refined-sugar free.
With the addition of protein packed icing, it tastes a whole lot naughtier than it is. And what is more of a win than that?
Gluten free | Grain free | Refined-sugar free
For the bread:
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 3 tablespoons Organic Cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Organic Dark Cacao Native WPI
- 3 tablespoons Maple syrup
- ½ cup of plain yoghurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of rice flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- You have two options at this point; (which feels very reminiscent of a Goosebumps book from year 7) you can either add all your ingredients (except the baking powder and apple cider vinegar) to your food processor, or you can combine them by hand. The food processor will eliminate chunks of banana, so if you like a bit of chunkiness then its best to DIY.
- Once the mixture is well combined, add the baking powder and the apple cider vinegar. Once you have contained your inner child who will inevitably enjoy the chemical reaction, mix in well.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan, (use a silicon one if you can, they are life changing!) and pour in your mixture.
- Pop the bread in the oven, and allow to cook for 30 minutes. Check the consistency at this point, and turn it around if you have a fierce oven like mine. Allow it to continue cooking for around 15 minutes, checking regularly with a skewer
- In the interim, grab your icing ingredients and your hand beaters and get to work! Beat the butter until it begins to lighten in colour, and then add the cacao, protein powder, maple syrup and vanilla. It should be a lovely icing consistency, and should also taste delicious.
- When the loaf is ready, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely, otherwise your icing will melt. Sad face. Use a butter knife or spatula to spread the icing evenly over the loaf, and immediately cut yourself a slice for all your hard work.