Granola is one of those breakfasts that practically everyone eats/enjoys at some point in their life. But I would hazard a guess and say that there are a whole lot less of us who realise just how easy it is to make ourselves, and how much unnecessary chemical rubbish we save ourselves from by doing so.
As an added bonus to its simplicity, granola is insanely customisable. Don’t like oats? Use quinoa flakes or a combination of nuts and seeds. Don’t like maple syrup? Use honey. You can replace a cup of oats with your favourite nuts and seeds in this recipe – I wanted to create a simple, base recipe that can be customised to everyone’s taste. Get experimenting!
- 2 cups of gluten free oats
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons Bare Blends Cacao WPI/WPC
- 3 tablespoons Bare Blends Cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- pinch of sea salt
- A handful of your favourite berries per parfait (I used frozen raspberries)
- Your favourite yoghurt (I used Five AM Organics)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil on a medium heat until melted. Add the cacao, Cacao WPI, vanilla paste, maple syrup and sea salt, and heat gently for a couple of minutes until everything is assimilated and liquidy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats and cacao nibs, and then pour over the chocolate coconut oil mix. Stir thoroughly until all the granola mix is coated in chocolate mixture.
- Spread the granola evenly on a lined baking tray and pop into the oven. Set the timer for ten minutes.
- Once the time is up, shuffle the granola around, and pop back in the oven for another ten minutes. Do this three times, until the granola has been in the oven for at least thirty minutes. You can leave it in for additional time if you think it needs it.
- In a glass (or bowl if you aren’t trying to impress/photograph/’gram) fill the bottom with some fresh or defrosted berries that have been heated through. On top of that, add your favourite yoghurt (preferably Greek or with no added sugar) and top with the granola!