The Food of the Gods
Cacao has been worshiped by humans since the Mayans and Aztecs discovered that when combined with aromatic flowers, vanilla and wild honey, a deliciously bitter and spicy concoction was created, which they called chocolatl. The precious beans became so valuable they were used as a form of currency, along with being recognized for its medicinal, religious and culinary benefits. To help celebrate the holidays, we are sharing three of our favorite decadent cacao recipes. Happy Holidays from Bare Blends!
Top 10 Health Benefits
- One of the richest sources of antioxidants known to man, cacao promotes cardiovascular health, provides protection against environmental and metabolic toxins.
- Enhances physical and mental well-being by increasing levels of the neurotransmitters; serotonin, endorphins, anandamide and phenylethylamine
- High in the beauty mineral sulphur, which is essential for strong nails, hair and beautiful skin!
- One of the richest natural sources of magnesium: essential for healthy heart function, strong bones, relaxing muscles, and the digestive system.
- High in vitamins and minerals such as potassium, vitamin C, iron and copper!
- The perfect dessert solution for those with sugar sensitivities or diabetes - it won't increase blood sugar levels, and also improves cell function!
- It releases calming endorphins that reduce anxiety, in conjunction with the presence of magnesium, which is a natural mood lifter!
- It can help prevent heart disease by improving blood flow due to the presence of polyphenols.
- Raw cacao contains oleic acid, which has been linked to lowering cholesterol
- Lastly – it’s DELICIOUS and versatile! It can be added to smoothies for a chocolate hit, raw desserts, and much more!
Decadent Cacao Recipes
Organic Cacao & Organic Orange Smoothie
The timeless match of cacao and orange is an indulgence for your palate.
- 1 Serving of Cacao WPI or WPC
- 1/2 Zest of an organic orange
- 1/2 the juice from an organic orange
- 250ml Almond milk
- 2 Tsp Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- Blend all ingredients in the blender for 20 seconds.
- Top with nibs and orange zest.
Triple Chocolate Smoothie
The ultimate guilt free indulgence. A triple cacao smoothie using a premium raw organic chocolate, our cacao powder and cacao proteins.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender for 20 seconds.
- Top with cacao nibs and grated raw chocolate.
Raw Chocolate Tart
Insanely rich and decadent, this tart is one to savour. Truly raw & packing a punch full of antioxidants. It is quite rich so we recommend sharing it with another raw foodie.
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal (finely ground)
- 6 Tbsp Organic Cacao Powder
- 3 Tbsp organic agave
- 3 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- Add crust ingredients to a food processor and blend until consistent.
- Split crust mixture into 3 or 4 separate tart trays depending on how large you like your tarts. Press the mixture in to the trays and form a even base.
- Let set in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Add filling ingredients to food processor and blend until consistent.
- Spoon filling evenly into the bases.
- Let set in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Serve cold with your choice of berries.
This hot recipe is warming and nutritious. A more pure approach than your traditional hot chocolate, loaded with antioxidants and healthy fats.
- 20g Organic Cacao Powder
- 20g Cacao Butter
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/4 Tsp Organic cinnamon
- 10g Organic coconut sugar
- 250ml Organic full cream milk or organic almond milk
- Grate the cacao butter into a bowl. This will allow it to easily melt when added to the other mixture.
- Gently warm the milk, cacao butter, coconut sugar & coconut oil until completely dissolved, careful not to over heat the mixture.
- Stir in the Organic Cacao Powder & cinnamon until dissolved.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy a warmth from the center of your body!