These cupcakes are as pretty as they are delicious, and use a surprisingly cheap and wholesome ingredient - silken tofu (which you can not taste at all)! They are packed full of vitamin C, protein, bioflavonoids and are a total crowd pleaser.
IngredientsFor the crust:
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup Cacao & Cinnamon Plant Protein
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (preferably activated) buckwheat grouts
- 40 grams cacao butter, grated
- 300g silken tofu
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews or macadamias, soaked for 4 hours in water
- 1.5+ tbsp Bare Berries
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla (of choice - I used powder)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao butter, grated
DirectionsMake the crust
- Set aside a silicone, 6 piece muffin tray.
- Add grated cacao butter to a heat proof bowl, and set over a pot of simmering water. Allow to melt, then remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add coconut, coconut sugar, buckwheat and plant protein powder to a large mixing bowl. Mix well, then add the cacao butter. Mix again, spoon approx. 1.5 tbsp into each silicone mould and press done to form a nice even base (and just eat any remaining base mixture - yum!).
- Add grated cacao butter and coconut oil to a heat proof bowl, and set over a pot of simmering water. Allow to melt, then remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add tofu, nuts, lemon zest and juice, rice malt syrup and vanilla to a high-speed blender and blitz on high until smooth (around 1 minutes).
- Next, add the melted cacao butter and coconut oil, BUT reserve around 1 tsp of the oil. Blend again on high, for around 1 minute.
- Pour 1/2 the mixture into a bowl. Add the berry powder and remaining oil, and blend again for 15-30 seconds. Taste this mixture, and add more berry powder as desired.
- Fill each mould 1/2 way with the berry layer, then top with the lemon mixture*. Transfer the left over mixture to the fridge to firm up if you wish to do the pipping on top, and put the cupcakes in the freezer set for a minimum of 3 hours.
- If doing pipping, wait to the remaining mixture is around the consistency of thick yoghurt, then transfer to pipping bag with desired nozzle. Remove cupcakes from the freezer and from their moulds, and allow to defrost for 10-15 minutes then pipe on top as desired. Decorate with edible flowers and enjoy immediately.
*If you wish to have perfect layers, add the berry layer first, then set in the freezer for 1 hour before adding the lemon layer.
**You can easily turn this into one large cake - just ensure you set it overnight in the freezer before allowing 1/2 to defrost and slice up.