Mornings can be hard, excruciatingly hard, especially if it's a Monday.
I used to struggle in the morning, slapping that snooze button until the final moments, and then rushing frantically to get everything done in time, arriving at work never feeling 100%.
This changed when I developed a routine. Routines are powerful efficiency gainers. A morning routine sets you up for a very productive day.
By packing your mundane (must do, everyday) tasks into a 2-hour chunk, you can relax for the rest of the day, and use your entire mental capacity on more important things.
Never again will you have that annoying recurring thought of, ‘I need to do some exercise!’
Obviously everybody is different, and everybody develops their own routines, but this is what I do every day to feel, and perform my best.
And, as the saying goes:
‘If you win the morning, you win the day.’
As soon as I wake up, I have a tall glass of cold water, with Bare Greens and fresh lemon. This achieves a few things;
- Gives your body a big dose of chlorophyll and phytonutrients which can be rapidly absorbed by the body.
- Rehydrates your body after sleep.
- The caffeine and L-theanine in matcha gets the neurons firing
- Optional cognitive booster: coffee after Bare Greens. Not every day, but sometimes I have a short coffee after my Bare Greens. It provides another dose of caffeine which stacks with the Matcha’s caffeine and L-theanine, providing a balanced energy release.
Exercise – this is vital every day. No matter what it is, Exercise will oxygenate your blood and get those amazing endorphins running. It also helps to clear your head and is in some way, a form of meditation, especially yoga. Depending where I am I will either;
- Do an hour of yoga
- Run / walk
- Push ups – just a quick 4 sets of 25
- The high quality protein helps with the muscle recovery and growth
- The dose of good fats and carbohydrates help with the protein absorption and provides some energy
- The maca provides some essential minerals
Read something I don't know. You literally have the all the world's information at your fingertips by 8:35am. I find I absorb information much better after exercise, and I am not alone in this - Justin Rhodes, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Illinois, says that increased oxygen levels in your brain after exercise can improve cognitive function.
Wholefood breakfast. This is critical to setting me up for the day. The combination of fats, protein, ferments and greens, keeps me going until around 11.
- 3 organic eggs
- Grass Fed Butter
- Spinach / kale / broccoli ect
- Some ferment like a sauerkraut, kimchi or kefir ( I just cycle through different ones so nothing gets boring)
Ready to get stuck into work feeling 100%
I am a sucker for coffee, so I will have my last coffee for the day at around 11am.
This is what I do every day. Sometimes I don’t get to it all, but the addition of a healthy morning routine is one definite way to ensure that I am at my healthiest and most productive. For an alternative to coffee, you could try Organic Japanese Matcha Green Tea - it won’t give you the caffeine spikes that come with coffee, but it helps to improve cognitive function and give your energy a boost.
Of course, every person is different, and it’s important to find a routine that works for you, but you will no doubt reap the benefits of a healthy routine that includes exercise and the right nutrition.
So how do you win your day? Let us know your daily productivity and health hacks in the comments below.